Does the overturning of Roe v. Wade affect MA?
Each state, including Massachusetts, now holds the power to decide within their own governments which abortion laws will be instituted and enforced. In this way, Massachusetts is impacted by this Supreme Court decision.
What are Massachusetts’ Current Laws on Abortion?
According to the state laws, as defined by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, the following are abortion restrictions currently in place:
- The performing surgeon must obtain informed consent before carrying out an abortion.
- Those unmarried and who are under the age of 16 must give the surgeon their consent and seek to obtain consent from a parent or legal guardian. A judge must be sought to bypass such permission if unable to receive parental consent.
- No abortion will be given solely based on gender preferences.
However, if there is a risk to the health or well-being of the woman at any point, exemptions do apply. The woman’s safety is always of great concern to the state as well as responsible medical practices.
What Should I Do If I’m Considering an Abortion?
When considering an invasive procedure, it is always a good idea to speak with a trusted physician or local pregnancy center to understand your options and state your concerns. A few of these risks, according to the Cleveland Clinic to discuss are:
- Extreme bleeding
- Infection of the uterus and surrounding structures
- Scarring, which can lead to infertility
- Allergic reactions to medications utilized in the procedure
- Incomplete abortion requiring further surgical interventions
- Perforation to the uterus
- Injury to cervical or uterine regions
By understanding the risks, you will have the ability to make the best decision for your unique circumstances.
Do not hesitate to contact us today if you want to discuss your options and seek support. We are here to listen to your concerns and provide the assistance and care you need at no cost to you. We believe in empowering women with knowledge, so informed decisions will be made that you can feel confident in, allowing you to move forward in your journey.